Saturday, July 8, 2017

Daughter of the Pirate King

Guys, this book was fabulous! Pirates! What is more romantic than pirates? Obviously, I don't mean the unbathed, missing teeth, greasy hair, one legged cut-your-throat-for-a-shilling type pirates. I mean the tough-on-the-surface-but-with-a-heart-of-gold type pirates. And also, dreamy. Can't forget dreamy.

Except in this story, it wasn't just the love interest who was a pirate! It was the main female character. And I loved her. She was brilliant.

The book is told from the point of view of seventeen year old pirate captain, Alosa. She's the daughter of Kalligan, the man who created the rules for pirates and basically rules the seas. Being the daughter of a pirate--the king of pirates--she had a pretty rough upbringing. Her father had very high expectations for her intelligence, cleverness, stamina, fighting skills, manipulation, etc.

When the book opens, her ship is being boarded by other pirates, and she is being taken prisoner. Not very promising, right? Her captors are Captain Draxen and his first mate and brother, Riden. They think they have quite the prize and plan to ransom her off. But Alosa is more than they bargained for: she's on a mission. There are three pieces of a treasure map that were divided between three pirate lords, and she plans to retrieve them all. And to do that? She has to get on Draxen and Riden's ship.

First of all, there is so much chemistry between Riden and Alosa.

“And what about me? I was on a very important mission for my father when you captured me. You've ruined my entire week. I should take an ear for that.

“You wouldn't take my  ear. It would make it difficult to hear your whining. And I know how much you love that.”

Pirates, amIright? Even though you could definitely tell Riden was going to be the love interest, it didn't move too fast. You watch them get to know each other and try to repress their growing attraction. They bickered constantly and it was hilarious.

Also, there's actual death and killing in this book. It wasn't tamped down just because one of the pirate captains is a girl. She totes kills people, and feels no remorse about it.

Why aren't there more pirate fantasy books? I'm not going to reveal the fantasy part of the story because I feel like it's kind of fun and would spoil part of it for you. But let's have more pirates, yeah?

Also, I forget to mention, I accidentally sprayed my copy of the book with a hose when I took it outside to read one day. Fitting for a book that takes place on the water, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment