Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Program

Wow, The Program was unique. And infuriating. And terrifying. This is a whole new type of Dystopia, people.

In this world (one not too far distant from our own), depression and suicide are an epidemic. Something like one in four teens commit suicide. Sloane knows this fact intimately after her older brother committed suicide, and there was nothing she could do to stop him.

To battle this epidemic, an organization called The Program arose. The Program has the cure, or so it advertises. But the teens who walk out its doors are shells of the people they used to be.

No teen wants to be taken into the program. When teens come out, they don't remember their friends. They don't recognize them. They're kept separated. They have handlers who stay with them for weeks. But, every day at school, teens have to fill out an assessment that asks how they feel. And if there's a wrong answer-or god forbid a tear leaks from your eye at any point--you could get flagged and taken to the Program. 

Obviously, Sloane gets taken into the Program. And she's pissed about it. And I was pissed too! Sometimes when you're reading, you get such a sense of frustration by what is happening to the character. Sometimes, I cry because I'm so frustrated that a character has no way out of a situation. I cried for Sloane.

For weeks, these "psychiatrists" are sucking her memories away--everything that is important to her aand that makes her HER--and she knows it's going to happen but doesn't realize it's happening. Does that make sense? It will if you read it. And it's infuriating! Because if she doesn't take the pills that keep her complacent, they'll just inject her with the meds. So there's no way out.

I didn't love it. It wasn't the best Teen book I've ever read. But I'm glad I read it. It's kind of a classic. I might finish the series if it comes up. I did feel a lot of emotions throughout it. A lot of anger. Sadness. Irritation (come on Sloane, can't you tell you're being duped here?). There's a classic love triangle, but it doesn't really feel like one for most of the book.

All that was pretty jumbled. Sorry-I haven't  blogged in a while and just wanted to get it all out so I wouldn't keep procrastinating. 👍 Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment